One of the most common questions you get as a vegan is ‘don’t you miss cake’? Well the good news is my lovelies- there is such a thing as vegan cake! Yes- you can make a cake without butter or eggs! I decided that I would make something that everyone loves… brownies with a vegan twist. I know what your thinking ‘brownies with a vegan twist’ hmmm probably should make them for Mum- but don’t worry there is nothing green in these just two super ripe bananas.
- Two super ripe bananas- (If you are vegan ripe bananas are like holy water so make sure you buy extra that week and save them!)
- 300g dark chocolate
- 170g self raising flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 5 tbsps of sunflower oil or coconut oil if you are feeling extra healthy
- 1tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 shot glasses of almond milk (again with the odd measurement, sorry!)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 2 minuets- if you don’t like using microwaves you can always do it in a bain-marie which, is where you place a glass or heatproof bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water.
- Mash the two ripe bananas with the vanilla extract with a fork. This should be super easy if your bananas are ripe enough.
- Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl or your electric mixer.
- Add the melted chocolate, bananas, sunflower oil and almond milk and mix together.
- Once everything has been mixed together. Pour the batter into your baking tray and cook for around 1 hour.
- Check the brownies after 40 minuets, you can tell if they are done by shaking the tray. If the batter wobbles all over then they need more cooking! Although it’s okay to have a little wobble in the middle, this makes them extra gooey!
- Once you are happy with the consistency, leave them to cool for around half an hour in the tin. If you try to cut them while they are hot they will fall apart.
- Once cool serve with your favourite tea, and a catch up with your best buddies.