Now, everyone loves a good roast potato or chip: crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle but completely saturated in oil. In fact up until a few months ago this would be the only way I would eat potatoes, until I discovered a new way, where I could eat twice as many, just by removing the oil! Super healthy with the same great taste and texture. I often eat 1kg of these in one sitting because you are practically halving the calories by taking away the oil! I like to eat these potatoes with avocado ‘mayo’ which is basically half an avocado blended with some lime juice, and a big head of crunchy lettuce! On this high carbohydrate vegan lifestyle I try to keep my fat intake below 10% of my daily calories and I find it is best to stick to avocadoes, olives and nuts rather than large quantities of oil as they also contain some fibre.
- 1kg potatoes (or less if you are having them as a side dish!)
- 2 tablespoons of polenta (ground up corn) or semolina (ground durum wheat)
- ½ Avocado
- ½ lime
- Mixed herbs (I like to use dried oregano)
- Lots of black pepper
- A pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Peal and chop the potatoes into your desired shape (you can use this method to make chips too!)
- Steam them for around 10 minuets, the potatoes should be al dente.
- Drain the water from the saucepan and put the potatoes back in, add the polenta or semolina, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Now, this is a trick I learnt from Nigella Lawson: put the lid back on the saucepan and hold it on tight while you shake the pan up and down. This will make the edges of the potatoes go fluffy, which creates the crispy outside!
- Spread the potatoes evenly between the two trays and bake in the oven until golden brown, this should take around 35-40 minuets.
- While your potatoes are cooking, you can start the avocado mayo!
- Scoop half an avocado into a bowl with the juice of half a lime and blend using a soup sick. You can also do this in a food processor but the consistency should be silky smooth like mayonnaise!
- Once the potatoes are cooked, serve in a big bowl with the lettuce and avo-mayo!