This is the perfect thing to make for people who are reluctant to try your vegan creations! I made this vegan chocolate cake for mothers day, after my sister was complaining that now I don’t eat butter or eggs, we will never get to make cakes together again! So I proved her wrong by making this delicious chocolatey pudding!
For the Cake:
- 125g ground hazelnuts
- 175g self-raising flour
- 100g melted coconut oil
- 150-200ml almond milk
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 200g brown or coconut sugar
For the Icing:
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g melted dark chocolate (make sure it is over 75% cocoa)
- 200g icing sugar
- Dash of water to form the desired consistency
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line your cake tin with baking paper.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Then melt the coconut oil and stir using an electric mixer or handheld whisk.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk and slowly pour it into the cake mixture.
- Stop adding almond milk when you have a thick batter.
- Spoon into the cake tin and cook for around 45 minuets, if you are worried about the top burning, cover it with tin foil after 30 minutes.
- Once the cake is cooked, leave it to cool while you make the icing.
- Melt the chocolate and beat in with the icing sugar and coconut oil, make sure you don’t melt the coconut oil!
- The consistency of the icing will be thick and crumbly so turn your mixer onto low and slowly add water bit by bit.
When I first made this I went with the approach of adding all the ingredients together, including the water and beating it fast until the mixture combined – but THIS DOES NOT WORK! You need to stir it slowly and encourage the water and oil to combine (making an emulsion)!
- Once the icing is to thick and creamy, cover the chocolate cake with it and scatter raspberries over the top.